• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Free Rods!

Trampster

TSF Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Quick update on those 3 free rods I picked up yesterday.

1725978368523.jpeg

Top Blue Rod has no markings on it at all. It's about 7ft and very light, it is also a bit scratched. I'll probably give it away or pass it on somewhere. Not good enough to sell. It's also got unlined spiral wound guides, which I've not seen before.

1725978545592.jpeg

The Middle rod is, as others suggested an 8ft Shakespeare rod, possibly a pier rod?? It's in fairly good condition. Lined rings (strange colour!) and looks like fibreglass. Not sure what to do with this one.

1725978976899.jpeg

This was what caught my eye in his advert. As he said, brand new. Lovely light rod, and since the Abu Tormentor rod I bought is 20 - 60gms, this will fit well below that casting weight for lighter plastics. Just need to order a rod sleeve for it. Chuffed with this one - certainly worth a drop of gasoline to go get it.
Anybody got the faintest idea of it's value?

Quick update on those 3 free rods I picked up yesterday.

View attachment 70303

Top Blue Rod has no markings on it at all. It's about 7ft and very light, it is also a bit scratched. I'll probably give it away or pass it on somewhere. Not good enough to sell. It's also got unlined spiral wound guides, which I've not seen before.

View attachment 70305

The Middle rod is, as others suggested an 8ft Shakespeare rod, possibly a pier rod?? It's in fairly good condition. Lined rings (strange colour!) and looks like fibreglass. Not sure what to do with this one.

View attachment 70307

This was what caught my eye in his advert. As he said, brand new. Lovely light rod, and since the Abu Tormentor rod I bought is 20 - 60gms, this will fit well below that casting weight for lighter plastics. Just need to order a rod sleeve for it. Chuffed with this one - certainly worth a drop of gasoline to go get it.
Anybody got the faintest idea of it's value?
£39.99

Yep the top one is a very basic generic pattern similar to what I’d imagine a lot of us had as kids.

The Shakey probably is a pier rod type though they tended to be a little longer at 9-10ft by my recollection.

The spinning rod is at least modern and will do the job for spinning or float fishing.
Since it was all free, worth the trip for the spinning rod alone.

You could certainly still use the pier rod for exactly that, a close in rod from piers though I’d imagine by modern rod standards it would feel a bit heavy and cumbersome, but it would be usable.

Yep the top one is a very basic generic pattern similar to what I’d imagine a lot of us had as kids.

The Shakey probably is a pier rod type though they tended to be a little longer at 9-10ft by my recollection.

The spinning rod is at least modern and will do the job for spinning or float fishing.
Since it was all free, worth the trip for the spinning rod alone.

You could certainly still use the pier rod for exactly that, a close in rod from piers though I’d imagine by modern rod standards it would feel a bit heavy and cumbersome, but it would be usable.

Pretty much my thoughts. I'll give it quite a few months for him to forget he gave them away, and put the two I don't want on Gumtree for a Fiver or so! Got to order a rod sleeve for the Blackrock rod, but will have to wait until we get back.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back