• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Found ! - limited "In-Stock" Akios dynaMax 6-pin centrifugal brake assembly

Casker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have initiated several web searches for the Akios c/brake assembly to modify the mech' braking on my vintage Abu Ambassadeur 6500, but always ending up with "Out of Stock". Well, I stumbled across a few "In-stock" at tacklebox.shop today !

I only need 1 right now, but have ordered 2 cos they are definitely scarce and I may well get a 2nd vintage Abu reel idc.
Best get your socks on if you're also looking to "mod*" the centrifugal 2-pin braking on your vintage Abu 6000/6500 (or Akios reels) to a 6-pin for a greater range of mech' brake adjustments.

[ Definitely a luxury to have multi-means of braking - mag+centrifugal - thank you Abu ! And thank you Akios for a compatible 6-pin replacement without replacing the 2-slot pinion & with more-easily sourced replacement brake-shoes (over time). I prefer to keep anything "vintage" authentic, but on this occasion I'm going for the "mod'" ! I can always reverse. ]

Last edited:
Plenty of genuine Abu ones on ebay mate. (y)

Ian.

Plenty of genuine Abu ones on ebay mate. (y)

Ian.
What (!?) - an Abu 6-pin module that matches-up with an older Abu 2-slot pinion ?? I haven't found one.

Happy to be advised otherwise, but, to my knowledge, Abu's 6-pin plastic module won't work without replacing the (older) 2-slot pinion with a 4-slot one.
On the other hand, the Akios assembly works with the existing Abu 2-slot pinion on older 6000 & 6500 Abu's.

What Akios has done is take the more modern plastic 6-pin Abu brake module (with round lugs) and clipped a metal ring, with rectangular lugs, to it which matches with the original 2-slot pinion - slightly "bulkier", but apparently it all clips onto the spool's brake seat without even re-installing the original retaining spring-clip.

I'll verify once my order of the Akios modules has arrived.

Last edited:
Genuine ABU 6 pin break assemblies I meant. (y)

Ian.

I'm very wary of these 'dot shop' domains.
One of my email addresses was put out on the web recently after the company that I registered it with got hacked again.
I've recently had about 60 scam emails, all from 'dot shop' domains.

Thankfully I have my own domain name and register a different address for every company I use, so instantly know who the culprit is.

Thankfully I have my own domain name and register a different address for every company I use, so instantly know who the culprit is.
Good idea. I use several also (across 3 domains), but never thought of that ploy ! It's not the scam e-mails (usually easily identified) that annoy so much as the scam telephone calls. I now rarely pick-up for unknown numbers, but sometimes I get caught out ... "Hello is this Mr Casker - Im calling from the National Fraud Agency & you have been reported for fraudulent transactions .... " - did they really think that opener would keep my attention? Chinese companies seem to be the worst for selling-on contacts - on the very vary very rare occasions I've order from a Chinese seller I've subsequently received a flush of scam calls.

Last edited:
Good idea. I use several also (across 3 domains), but never thought of that ploy ! It's not the scam e-mails (usually easily identified) that annoy so much as the scam telephone calls. I now rarely pick-up for unknown numbers, but sometimes I get caught out ... "Hello is this Mr Casker - Im calling from the National Fraud Agency & you have been reported for fraudulent transactions .... " - did they really think that opener would keep my attention? Chinese companies seem to be the worst for selling-on contacts - on the very vary very rare occasions I've order from a Chinese seller I've subsequently received a flush of scam calls.

I don't mind the scam calls - they allow me to exercise my local vocabulary and tell them to feck off, plus other similar expletives!
Plus they only take up a few seconds. We (thankfully) don't get many on the landline now, and every one I mark as Scam/Spam on the mobile automatically get blocked & reported. All of our numbers are on the TPS, and the landline is ex-directory, but they still occasionaly find a way through.

Do you envisage ever receiving the item Casker.. ;)

Ian.

Ian.
Royal Mail 1st class postage for the order so should drop though letter-box 2mor.
I've already been reimbursed £0.76 Royal Mail postage on my 2nd purchase (when I decided to buy a 2nd one) cos my two orders were close enough to make a single parcel possible. As of now, I have no reason to question Tacklebox.shop's integrity,

(Just re-checked Tacklebox site - now only one of these particular Akios 6-pin cassettes left in-stock ! I recall they were advertising 4 in-stock when I ordered my 2. )

Last edited:

Ian.
Arrived today (2nd class mail in the event, but heh!). Installed & the 6-pin cassette is a tight (i.e. secure) fit on the spool and in the existing Abu 2-groove drive pinion. I'm happy @ a fiver per piece.

No surge of scam emails so far !

Last edited:
Much surprised at how much braking those 6 little plastic shoes produce - likely to be backing off a few very shortly !

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back