• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

For £20 I couldn't resist - 8' Abu Garcia Venerate V2-C

Casker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I happened across the 8' Abu Venerate V2-C by accident - on sale @ £20 (previously about £55)! Advertised as having MF action and ML power and CW 5-20g. A "freshwater" rod according to Abu G, but guides are stainless-steel. (Unlikely to be s/s 316 alloy on a freshwater rod & not all "stainless-steel" is truly stainless, but heh!)

Seemingly AG Venerate rods are quite well respected and, as I own nothing rated for sub-20g CW, I thought "what the heck" for £20 & so I bought it :).

I might not actually use it much, but, for the money, it provides one more option as I explore my fishing options/preferences. I'm thinking the rod might match up with another cheapo purchase that I could not resist either - the (Lidl) Rocktrail 2000 reel !! Of course, the combo could prove to be a disaster OR a "this cost me next to nothing" revelation ! :)

Back to the rod; anyone with hands-on experience of the Venerate V2-C please ??

Last edited:
Not come across the Venerate rods but I've got a Tormentor 9ft 20 - 60gms and very pleased with it.
I don't fish with soft plastics or lures below 20gm anyway, so it's ideal for me with SG Seekers & Surf Seekers.
Sounds like a bargain! 👍👍.

Can't say I've ever come across the Venerate.I do have a Westin W6 Finesse T&C as below in the link.Won it in a free draw at Fishdeal.Cannot see it ever getting used and that goes for all my gear as health conditions prevent me fishing.Probably have a full clearout.

Last edited:
Not come across the Venerate rods but I've got a Tormentor 9ft 20 - 60gms and very pleased with it.
I don't fish with soft plastics or lures below 20gm anyway, so it's ideal for me with SG Seekers & Surf Seekers.
Sounds like a bargain! 👍👍.
Another so-called "freshwater" rod I believe (?). I'm assuming no salty issues cos you would have mentioned I'm sure.

Can't say I've ever come across the Venerate.I do have a Westin W6 Tenessee T&C as below in the link.Won it in a free draw at Fishdeal.Cannot see it ever getting used and that goes for all my gear as health conditions prevent me fishing.Probably have a full clearout.
Hadn't heard of Westin b4 now so I went and had a look. They seem to have dropped the geographic naming for their rods, but they do "sound/look" good - nice one. Sorry to hear you have not been able to say "Gone fishing" with it.

Another so-called "freshwater" rod I believe (?). I'm assuming no salty issues cos you would have mentioned I'm sure.

I haven't seen any rods distinguishing between salt & freshwater use - most of the ads say a general purpose spinning & predator rod.
I got mine from Basstastic I think - strangely, everywhere I've looked is now out of stock on the 9ft 20 - 60gm, so guessing they are popular.

I haven't seen any rods distinguishing between salt & freshwater use - most of the ads say a general purpose spinning & predator rod.
I got mine from Basstastic I think - strangely, everywhere I've looked is now out of stock on the 9ft 20 - 60gm, so guessing they are popular.
Yeah I know - re salt v fresh - but Abu G does distinguish on their website (with a table) for any selected rod series.
I've also noticed that the 20-60g option is a popular choice.

You are better off getting a rod for sea fishing.
I have to agree with you @Valleyboy, but there it was for a purple coloured note & free postage (with the other stuff I needed)! I did search to see if any similar, but salty offerings; none I fancied for the purple note. It'll be fun, I reckon, flicking a few lighter lures without weighting the line. (I have a particular Cornish beach in mind actually!)

I have to agree with you @Valleyboy, but there it was for a purple coloured note & free postage (with the other stuff I needed)! I did search to see if any similar, but salty offerings; none I fancied for the purple note. It'll be fun, I reckon, flicking a few lighter lures without weighting the line. (I have a particular Cornish beach in mind actually!)
It will do fine to learn with. You have to bear in mind what type of lures you will be fishing. A rod that is good for softplastics is by it's very nature not suited to wtd or to fish poppers and vice versa even though their casting weights might be the same

It will do fine to learn with. You have to bear in mind what type of lures you will be fishing. A rod that is good for softplastics is by it's very nature not suited to wtd or to fish poppers and vice versa even though their casting weights might be the same
You wot..😳😳
It’s just a flexible lever thing..🤷🏼‍♂️

Just how flexible and how fast the tip recovers imparts or doesn't impart action to the lure
The V2-C's quoted MF action and ML power seems to be fairly standard for CW 5-20g range, but your points are well noted @Valleyboy. It is actually advertised as a Spinning rod - I'll see what it can do/how it feels taking your comments into account..
We all know that product descriptions are carefully worded to bump-up their attractiveness, but I have to say this Abu G rod's description was masterly - it might not have made me part with £55 (ref' fresh v salt), but it was definitely a £20 bit of blurb ! :D. https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/abu...bjectID=113505&indexName=live_ad_uk_products#

Last edited:
I had an ABU vendetta next model up, which was a nice rod that handled soft and hard lures but I didn't like the handle.

The Venerate V2-C 8' was eventually delivered !
I'm not a fan of white-coloured rods, but, even worse, it is a "pearlescent white": I hadn't noticed that spec' detail, but, nemind, what's in a colour ?!

Not spooled up yet and not sure when might have opportunity to try out, but my out-of-the-box home tests (and novice assessment) suggests 2000 to 3000 fixed reels will be OK for reasonable balance.

Its so-called "moderate fast" action seems fairly accurate (if, maybe, a tad understated ?!).

I've scoured the web to find a definitive description of Abu Garcia's "stainless-steel LTS" line guides, but Abu G seem a bit light-lipped about this: they appear to be "lined", but is the lining a type of s/steel (hopefully a bit like Penn's all s/s Dura guides) or some sort of, more fragile, ceramic material ?? Whatever, I'm confident the guide main frames are s/s; happy with that. Reel seat also non-corrosive/salt-water worthy.

So, happy with the "un-boxed" experience, leaving aside that unfortunate not quite "macho" pearly luster !

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back