• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Fishing clothing

Angrybear

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Well, as the whole market seems to have changed in the time that I've been away from fishing, who are the go to manufacturers for good reasonably priced winter fishing kit ?
My waterproof/warm jacket is Sundridge, who are long gone, but it's now too tight to swing a cast in.
While my Bib & brace is AFAW, who don't seem to do fishing clothing any longer & all the taped seams have un-taped so I'm not sure how waterproof they're going to be.

Sundridge are still going under the Daiwa banner I believe? I bought a Musto HPX goretex suit when I started working for them back in 2009, even heavily discounted it was eye-wateringly expensive but it's still going strong. I have pvc oilskins for less active bait fishing on the boat, jet washing duties etc. I would avoid angling brands apart from Halkon Hunt personally and go for a recognised outdoor/farming/shooting brand

Well, as the whole market seems to have changed in the time that I've been away from fishing, who are the go to manufacturers for good reasonably priced winter fishing kit ?
My waterproof/warm jacket is Sundridge, who are long gone, but it's now too tight to swing a cast in.
While my Bib & brace is AFAW, who don't seem to do fishing clothing any longer & all the taped seams have un-taped so I'm not sure how waterproof they're going to be.
Rather than a specific jacket from a fishing supplier look at goretex generally.
Layering up is better imo.
Good warm boots too, I like thermal Colombia boots.
If you have some money look at musto yachting gear.
You could also consider vass rubber gear for the winter..... but it's shite in summer.

Screwfix, same shit but cheaper, actually usually better

I spotted a Sundridge Minus-ten jacket on the bay for £50 so bought that, & found a pair of their heavy duty salopettes I forgot I had in a box with my flotation suit, so that's me sorted, should be toasty.

I would avoid angling brands apart from Halkon Hunt
Used to deliver and collect from the factory at Doncaster a couple of times a week.Always had a chat with Sandra while I was there.This was before she married Alan Scotthorne.Saved a fortune on fishing clothing.(y)Those were the days.

Layering up is better imo.
Good warm boots too, ...
I don't heat my house (eco-hero !!) and so I'm well versed in keeping warm with clothing: careful/thoughtful layering is the key - I can have up to 4 thin upper-body layers & 2 lower-limb layers when it's really really cold & still not feel swaddled; thin layers easily adjusted according to temps. And then for outdoors, only light-weight water/wind-proof outer top and leggings, or maybe waders, should be necessary in addition.
(Outer layer or one of the inner layers best cinch tight to body by belt, strap or elasticated hem - a lightweight cycling top with extended back & elasticated hem can be a good inner layer.)

Boots: I have a sister who repeatedly gifts me ultra-thick socks - some would require an extra boot size !

Don't forget warm and/or water-proof hat/s !!!! (I personally find the integral hood on many water-proof tops a real PITA)

Last edited:
If it’s got a fishing tackle company logo on it, it’ll be as waterproof as a teabag.

I use Gill sailing gear, but musto stuff is pretty much identical.

Guy Cotton is 100% waterproof, but it’s like wearing a plastic bag.

Avoid anything sold by the sea angling tackle brigade.
It's crap.

Look for goretex for breathability
For total 100% waterproof, there is Guy Cotten

How else can I put it.
Fishing clothing is like a land rover.
It looks cool but will absolutely let you down when you need it most.

Sailing/commercial gear is like a land cruiser.
Looks crap but actually does what it's meant to do.

I have various light-weight water-proof tops, but I also still use a 15+yr-old light single-skin high-viz "weather-proof" jacket for when I'm gardening in inclement weather. Jacket is one of those fairly standard construction-site items: it's mega dirty (so now low-viz) and never been washed/re-proofed, BUT it is still water-proof !!

When I'm buying a new outer, I now always check to see if fabric has a specified "water column test" rating (like one would for a camping tent). If not quoted, I avoid.

Last edited:
How else can I put it.
Fishing clothing is like a land rover.
It looks cool but will absolutely let you down when you need it most.

Sailing/commercial gear is like a land cruiser.
Looks crap but actually does what it's meant to do.
Oi land cruisers are cool looking, better than the downs syndrome defender !

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back