• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fish finder advise

I've recently replaced my fishfinder with a 9 inch lowrance elite fs . Nice bit of kit

Welcome to the Madhouse Dannyg!

No boat, so can't offer any advice.

My friend has the same one that topwater has,it's a great bit of kit,well worth the money
I got mine in the sales it was just about half price at £610. It needed a lengthy update download but so far so good 👍 They are not cutting edge as they were released in the US in 2021 apparently but they've had time to iron out some issues. It's a massive upgrade from my previous seperate units. I looked at Garmin but the equivalent unit and transducer was £1300 or so.

Lots of options, dont be fooled into the side scan stuff. Its pretty pointless in the uk unless you just fish shallow. Most of the time the weather makes it unusable any way.

Ive had most units on different vessels and they all have benefits.

Lowrance - very intuitive to use and integrates seamlessly with onboard sensors and engine management. Every plotter has chart integration but only the elite and hds does shading relief - something you will want. Under the navco group so compatible with simrad and so on

Garmin- brilliant at what it does! Expensive and hard and expensive to integrate into a vessel due to multiple components needed. The usability of them is very straight forward but just dont ask it to do what its not designed to do. Stay away from the budget options if you want any type of mapping quality. Also active captain is a waste of time also doing updates is a nightmare.

Raymarine- probably the sleekest of them all, unfounded quality with vast scope of options. Probably the best of the best.

Simrad - the same as lowrance but on the upper market. The units are a little more refined but less options for programming than the lowrance.

Humming bird - great bit of kit until it lets you down right at the wrong moment. Highly advise against using if your doing offshore trips.

For the price the lowrance elite is probably the best option available

Side scanning combination transducer with its ability to form 3d images is exactly why I bought the Element 9hv. Even the far offshore wrecks are less than 150ft near me. Our bass fishing is in less than 40ft. Horses for courses, right tools for the job

Side scanning combination transducer with its ability to form 3d images is exactly why I bought the Element 9hv. Even the far offshore wrecks are less than 150ft near me. Our bass fishing is in less than 40ft. Horses for courses, right tools for the job
Do you gain anything from the 3d i find its not that clear with fish indication compared with traditional chirp

I get on well with it once I've adjusted the settings. The set up in my RIB means the screen is right in front of me only about 2ft away which makes it an excellent viewing position

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back