• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Daiwa 7 ht

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
So I bought one of these reels off eBay Fr and it arrived today. The reel looks great and comes in the box with the papers and original contents. The reel looks as though it has been looked after but there are some strange noises coming from it when winding and the spool when free does not spin very well at all and is noisy . I think I am going to have to strip and clean it think the bearings may be gone but may just need cleaned and oiled. There was nearly no line on it but the spool is spotless as does the rest of the reel it is odd it is so noisy though ... something to look at after dinner :)

OK I have taken the righthand side of the reel and the bearing came out of the housing with the spool and is well gone. It is a little rusted and is seized onto the spindle. Question is how do I remove the bearing from the spool spindle? I don't want to damage the spool bullying the bearing off. Would holding the bearing very lightly in a vice then tapping the spindle gently with a piece of wood doweling to drift the spindle through the bearing be the answer ? I don't want to damage the spool and end up having to replace that as well as the bearings.

I’ve had an original 7 HT for decades, with no problems yet and very little maintenance.
still works perfectly.
Please don’t hit it with anything!
soak the seized parts with light oil or easing fluid if you have some. Be patient as it may take hours days or weeks to come free.
With new properly lubed bearings and greased up gears it’ll go for years.

As above keep it wet with what ever you are using to free it and it should eventually come free.

Thanks for the advice. I thought to steep it in white spirt as I do not have a releasing spray. It is odd I thought these parts would have been stainless? Weird thing is that the reel is really clean but he must have let some salty moisture onto that bearing ? The bearing moves but it is stuck on the spindle:mad: Anyway a new set of bearings should see it right and upgraded so it is still well worth the €45 I paid it.

Maybe a quick spray with some WD40 might stop the noises jambop . It could be unoiled and the seawater could of dryed up the insides of the reel ?

need new bearings at least obviously you'll have to clean up the spindle all down to tolerance if not a good fit afterwards you'll get vibration = noise will tell when you try it out after
I am soaking the spool in some gunk over night. What I did notice is that when I sprayed some gun cleaner onto the bearing there was a lot of brown crap came out of the bearing I have to assume this is rust? Now Daiwa say the bearings are stainless but is that just the cage , shield and races? The spindle looks like it is stainless so I am hopeful that if the spindle and the races are stainless that provided there has been no electrolytic degradation between the spindle and the inner race if I can get it off a light polish of the spindle may see it OK ?

Last edited:
If it doesn't work properly get a partial refund to say you have to use to "pay for replacement parts". I bought a reel a few months back and because it turned out it didn't work properly I made claim for a partial refund. So you get a load of replacement parts for other reels of the same type or you use the money you are refunded to buy the parts you do need to get it working. The seller should have made it clear it was faulty in the advert so it sounds like you were misled if they never said there was anything wrong with it.

Last edited:
If it doesn't work properly get a partial refund to say you have to use to "pay for replacement parts". I bought a reel a few months back and because it turned out it didn't work properly I made claim for a partial refund. So you get a load of replacement parts for other reels of the same type or you use the money you are refunded to buy the parts you do need to get it working. The seller should have made it clear it was faulty in the advert so it sounds like you were misled if they never said there was anything wrong with it.
The reel was just described as "used". I also suppose you could say it does function but not as a new reel would . It is a really strange one if you look at the reel you would think it had hardly been used it is in quite nice condition... but for that bearing. I will just treat it as a bearing upgrade ?

It seems strange that a bearing could have corroded so badly that it has seized onto the spindle but there is no corrosion on other parts around it.

Anyway, WD40 releasing fluid would be the best way to free the bearing from the shaft. I wouldn't recommend hitting the end of the shaft as even the slightest distortion could be catastrophic as the reel runs at such fine tolerances. I would put a spanner under the bearing and then try to tap the spanner up to fetch the bearing off the shaft and if that didn't work I would try a little heat to see if that helped. If not, new parts!

It seems strange that a bearing could have corroded so badly that it has seized onto the spindle but there is no corrosion on other parts around it.

Anyway, WD40 releasing fluid would be the best way to free the bearing from the shaft. I wouldn't recommend hitting the end of the shaft as even the slightest distortion could be catastrophic as the reel runs at such fine tolerances. I would put a spanner under the bearing and then try to tap the spanner up to fetch the bearing off the shaft and if that didn't work I would try a little heat to see if that helped. If not, new parts!
I really don't know what has happened. The bearing is not corroded as it is stainless. The spindle is not corroded either but the bearing is stuck and there was a lot of brown gunge that came off the bearing when I sprayed it with gun cleaner I assumed it was rust. As you say I had thought of trying a hairdryer or some sort of very gentle heat on it ?

I’ve had an original 7 HT for decades, with no problems yet and very little maintenance.
still works perfectly.
Please don’t hit it with anything!
soak the seized parts with light oil or easing fluid if you have some. Be patient as it may take hours days or weeks to come free.
With new properly lubed bearings and greased up gears it’ll go for years.

I am just cleaning the reel now. For something that looks very good on the outside the inside is a bit messy. The winder side of the reel is very gummy with oil lubricants. I am going to clean this up with brake cleaner then give it some gun oil which is very good at staving off corrosion. You say grease for the gears any specific type? I was going t use oil it tends to be less sticky and if the reels is properly looked after should keep it running well. I do have some grease though two different types. I have a white grease I use for greasing my Perazzi shotgun or I have grease for using on braking systems which should I use. I was going to use a bit of gentle heat to try to release the bearing what do you think? I thought about puting it in a warm'ish oven? I just don't want to damage things and end up having to buy more parts.

I am just cleaning the reel now. For something that looks very good on the outside the inside is a bit messy. The winder side of the reel is very gummy with oil lubricants. I am going to clean this up with brake cleaner then give it some gun oil which is very good at staving off corrosion. You say grease for the gears any specific type? I was going t use oil it tends to be less sticky and if the reels is properly looked after should keep it running well. I do have some grease though two different types. I have a white grease I use for greasing my Perazzi shotgun or I have grease for using on braking systems which should I use. I was going to use a bit of gentle heat to try to release the bearing what do you think? I thought about puting it in a warm'ish oven? I just don't want to damage things and end up having to buy more parts.
I’m no expert on reel repairs but I know from bitter experience that it’s best to keep grease to a minimum, just a light covering otherwise it can slow the reel down if too much.
Tend to find white grease dries up a bit quick?

Ref heat, I’d imagine you’d want to direct it specifically on the bearing and not the rest of the spindle or reel as a whole? I’d probably be inclined just to hold a lighter to the bearing myself.

Otherwise a good soak in oil or regular WD40 spraying should encourage it to shift eventually.

As I say, I’m no expert though!

Got to agree with Timbc2.

It's very common to see items on fleabay described as in 'used' condition which annoys me as 'used' is not a condition and tells you nothing. Seems like your reel should have been described as 'parts or not working' if you have to do repairs before you can use it.

Got to agree with Timbc2.

It's very common to see items on fleabay described as in 'used' condition which annoys me as 'used' is not a condition and tells you nothing. Seems like your reel should have been described as 'parts or not working' if you have to do repairs before you can use it.
I would have to disagree the reel is immaculate except for the one bearing and it is working just not like new. I have just had it apart and cleaned it no wear on any component that I can see although a bit greasy. If the reel was in a terrible state I would agree but for £40 I have a very nice reel that is getting a bearing upgrade what is not to like?

Perhaps they Shoved in the Dishwasher @concrete has the Recipe for that!:oops::ROFLMAO:

I would have to disagree the reel is immaculate except for the one bearing and it is working just not like new. I have just had it apart and cleaned it no wear on any component that I can see although a bit greasy. If the reel was in a terrible state I would agree but for £40 I have a very nice reel that is getting a bearing upgrade what is not to like?
Hi Plus gas/Penetrating oil is what you need.Bearings will rust higher quality SS resists longer but all once been exposed to sea will rust. Penn Reels had a big issue with them while back due to them using dodgy Chinese micky mouse bearings that are not what they say they are why have to be on watch with likes of buying Knock off reels and Ebay!

If you have use of a vice? or decent grips find something that will sit under bearing so held solid not wobbling around so maybe seek an helper? then with a decent hammer tap end of shaft with a sharp tap! making sure as best can in line so head flat onto end you just do one tap not ratta tat tat! that should dislodge it as they get a seat/set on spindle
Done many like that it's the sharp shock treatment that works plus if you bur end a bit which shouldn't unless hammering it to death as hardened steel! you can lap it out with wet n dry.

Hi Plus gas/Penetrating oil is what you need.Bearings will rust higher quality SS resists longer but all once been exposed to sea will rust. Penn Reels had a big issue with them while back due to them using dodgy Chinese micky mouse bearings that are not what they say they are why have to be on watch with likes of buying Knock off reels and Ebay!

If you have use of a vice? or decent grips find something that will sit under bearing so held solid not wobbling around so maybe seek an helper? then with a decent hammer tap end of shaft with a sharp tap! making sure as best can in line so head flat onto end you just do one tap not ratta tat tat! that should dislodge it as they get a seat/set on spindle
Done many like that it's the sharp shock treatment that works plus if you bur end a bit which shouldn't unless hammering it to death as hardened steel! you can lap it out with wet n dry.
So cleaned, reassembled and reoiled and greased. I can spin the spool quite well with my thumb and although is spins quite freely it is noisy so upgrade bearing time. Which bearings would be best suited to this reel? I am using it for fishing not trying to get a lead over the Atlantic ?
I do have a vice but have been warned against that route I will try more soaking in release fluid and see how it goes. I don't think it will take much to move the spindle the crud washed off the bearing very easily. I think new bearings are a good idea anyway they are not too expensive.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back