• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Conti Rods

meirion658

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Afternoon all

Looking to get a new/used conti rod for some light fishing on the clean surf beaches around me.

What do I meed to look for and and good recommendations don't want to spend a huge amount £200 tops.

Thanks

I've got two Grauvell Vertix 4.5 metre (15ft) rods and love them. One I bought new from eBay for £57, and the other I was given by a mate on here as he'd snapped the tip. I repaired it with a bit of Carbon tube & Epoxy.

I can't recommend anything purely because Grauvell went bust a couple of years ago.
There is a good new Grauvell rod on offer on eBay, but the dreamers want £270 for it, so well over your budget Meirion.
I did also have a Mitchell 15ft rod for a while but it was a bit like a telegraph pole. Bought it cheap 2nd hand, sold it & made a small profit!

Just had another quick search on eBay, and there is a new 4.2 metre (14ft) Vertix rod for sale in France. Just under £100, and they are quoting £5.08 for delivery.

I've got two Grauvell Vertix 4.5 metre (15ft) rods and love them. One I bought new from eBay for £57, and the other I was given by a mate on here as he'd snapped the tip. I repaired it with a bit of Carbon tube & Epoxy.

I can't recommend anything purely because Grauvell went bust a couple of years ago.
There is a good new Grauvell rod on offer on eBay, but the dreamers want £270 for it, so well over your budget Meirion.
I did also have a Mitchell 15ft rod for a while but it was a bit like a telegraph pole. Bought it cheap 2nd hand, sold it & made a small profit!

Just had another quick search on eBay, and there is a new 4.2 metre (14ft) Vertix rod for sale in France. Just under £100, and they are quoting £5.08 for delivery.
Thank you trampster I appreciate the reply 😊

I have two vercelli enygma unibomber again like Tramps dicontinued but Vercelli do a very extensive range, feck knows the difference, but you could get a vercelli, okuma 8k surf and braid for your £200.
Another option might be something like an Akios Fury?
Blackrock is another brand maybe to look at.
Have a look at Tony's Tackle or Anglers Den for a bit of a description on some of them.

For very easy and comfortable fishing a fixed spool braid setup with a conti is great for clean beaches. I have used a couple contis. The BlackRock Renaissance ZT4200 is a cracking rod for the money, I think they've bought out a newer model but this was the one for £99 and it's been great. The blank is superb. Another one I've been impressed with is the Vercelli Enygma Speziale was £99 with full fuji fittings. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. Personally, don't think you'd notice much if any difference to a lot of the more expensive rods unless you were paying top bucks for something like Italcanna.
Here they are side by side,

IMG_1547.jpg

Tight lines,

Al

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back