• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Conoflex Phantom

AlanT

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Currently refurbishing my Conoflex with a new butt. It's fitted with an ABU moveable reel seat and I don't know whether to replace this with a fixed seat or not. Any thoughts on these ABU seats? I have had the blank from new and usually prefer low reel.

I use Abu Grip-Loks on a lot of my rods, i like them myself, others say they are too bulky for their hands. I personally hate fixed reel seats, no need for them, you can have your reel anywhere on the butt without having to glue the bloody thing on, but that is just me. And i fish reel down on all my rods.

Ian.

Last edited:
Exactly what wingnut says above, they're also the only sliding reel seat large enough for the dia of older rod butt's.
I've got both ABU, Penn & Century sliding seats on various rods, but when needing to replace the seats on my Moonrakers the ABU were the only one's I could find to fit.

I do find the grip loks I have on four different (second hand) rods tend to stick and jam.
Have spent many a happy hour trying to bash the things open with my knife handle or a stone 🙄

They still work though but are an ongoing source of inconvenience.
That said, they came to me second hand and have performed that way from the start, plus I don’t clean and lube the threads after every trip, or pretty much at all, so I accept the issues may also be self inflicted!

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back