• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Checking in.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Evening all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything on here, so I thought I’d check in and let you know what I’ve been up to since July.

As you will probably guess, it’s been mainly lure fishing 😄, but after my best ever start to a season, it’s been more of a struggle over the last couple of months. It’s not all bad though, as while the blanks have been mounting more than I would have liked, I’ve also kept the numbers ticking over too. The vast majority of these fish were schoolies, but my last 2 fish measured 55cm, followed by my joint best fish of the year at 58cm, which was also christened my new toy, a Major Craft Tiderift 5G :cool:.
Bass 131 2024.jpg

Apart from the lure fishing, I’ve also fished a couple of club matches, and while I haven’t managed to win any of these, I have caught some interesting fish including my first ever shore caught cuckoo wrasse, a male and female in the same session (y).
Cuckoo Wrasse - Male.jpg

Cuckoo Wrasse - Female.jpg

Finally, in between all this I managed to find time for another trip to Norway, this time to Bodo rather than the Lofoten Islands, and while the bigger fish were sadly hard to find, I still managed to catch 5 new PBs 😊.

A 4lb 5oz ling
Ling PB 4lb 5oz - Norway 2024.jpg

A 3lb 12oz haddock
Haddock PB 3lb 12oz - Norway 2024.jpg

A 2lb 9oz plaice
Plaice PB 2lb 9oz - Norway 2024.jpg

A 1lb 10oz mackerel
Mackerel 1lb 5oz - Norway 2024.jpg

And my first ever velvet bellied lantern shark, only 11oz, but I’m reliably informed that it was a decent example of the species.
Velvet Bellied Lantern Shark PB 11oz - Norway 2024.jpg

I also lost a half decent halibut, but I made up for it on the last day of the trip with a consolation flatty of around 6lb.
Halibut 6lb - Norway 2024.jpg

For the rest of the year it’s going to be more of the same and hopefully I’ll be able to improve on my biggest bass so far, before I get back to the search for Congerzilla 🤞.

Nice to see you back. hope you been ok (y) Great report and pictures, well done (y) Kev seemed to stop posting at similar time to you, hope hes ok aswell.

Nice to see you back. hope you been ok (y) Great report and pictures, well done (y) Kev seemed to stop posting at similar time to you, hope hes ok aswell.
I've been good thanks Rich (y), I hope you have too.

I was only speaking to Kevin last week and he's fine. He's just had a lot on this year, and so he hasn't been fishing as much as he would have liked.

I've been good thanks Rich (y), I hope you have too.

I was only speaking to Kevin last week and he's fine. He's just had a lot on this year, and so he hasn't been fishing as much as he would have liked.
Good to hear your both ok 👍 had a couple of nice holidays in Angelsey this year and enjoyed the fishing, nothing spectacular but had plenty of Pollock, Wrasse and around 10 small Bass all on the lures. Bait fished around Angelsey quite a few times in the dark but had never been much in the daylight and never been on holiday there until this year, what a lovely island, loved the place 👍👍

Nice one Andy, some lovely fish there, looked a great trip (y)

Thanks for the replies all (y).

Norway was a great trip and though the monster fish didn't show, I still caught some other nice fish in among the PBs, these included
coalies to 5lb 4oz, the best of which came on a lure
Coalie 5lb 4oz - Norway 2024.jpg

pollack to 4lb
again on the lure rod, but on a tiny freelined slither of mackerel which was hit about a foot away from the rocks 😮
Pollack 4lb - Norway 2024.jpg

The coolest fish for me though was this beast, an 8lb wolf fish caught by Ross our guide! :oops:
Ross 8lb Wolf fish - Norway 2024.jpg

Good to hear your both ok 👍 had a couple of nice holidays in Angelsey this year and enjoyed the fishing, nothing spectacular but had plenty of Pollock, Wrasse and around 10 small Bass all on the lures. Bait fished around Angelsey quite a few times in the dark but had never been much in the daylight and never been on holiday there until this year, what a lovely island, loved the place 👍👍

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Anglesey, and that you caught a few fish while you were there ;).

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back