• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Boat Tope Rod

glandyman

TSF Supporter
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
I'm looking to replace my ancient tope rod ( Old glass 4/10 uptider) for something a bit lighter. Not a snooker cue but something that can tackle a 50lb fish on a charter boat. Will only be used a few times a year so I don't want to spend over a £100. I was considering a second hand 20/30 Suveran but I would like something a tad longer. Thanks, Clive.

For uptiding or downtiding?

I’ve never found tope especially amazing after the first couple of runs so anything modern should suffice?

As Ollie said, the Ugly Stik is a decent choice and not silly money.
The ones here last week ran like fk and pulled like hell, felt it the next day.

Ok never seen them caught on boat (y) (y)
Tbf I’ve never caught them from the shore (or targeted them although I know the marks, but it’s rocky here and they get battered) but certainly on the boat I’ve found them fairly easy to bully in after the initial couple of powerful runs.

For uptiding or downtiding?

I’ve never found tope especially amazing after the first couple of runs so anything modern should suffice?

As Ollie said, the Ugly Stik is a decent choice and not silly mone
It used to be uptiding but our club records show that the majority of our tope were caught from the back third of our charter boats, I guess something to do with the scent trail so I will be downtiding from now on. Most of our tope are caught in shallow water and you can't bully them in but at the same time you can't take half an hour for the rest of the boat to wait for you. Ugly stik is a good shout, thanks Ollie.

It used to be uptiding but our club records show that the majority of our tope were caught from the back third of our charter boats, I guess something to do with the scent trail so I will be downtiding from now on. Most of our tope are caught in shallow water and you can't bully them in but at the same time you can't take half an hour for the rest of the boat to wait for you. Ugly stik is a good shout, thanks Ollie.
Yep will go better in the shallow stuff, that’s for sure.

Can’t really go wrong with the Ugly Stik

Great solid rods mate. I’d go 12-20… you’d be surprised what it can handle

Ill go against the grain.
Get a decent 50lb class rod and suitable winch.
Get the fish in as quickly as is safe to do so and release it before it's knackered.

Different matter if you are fishing for the pot, doesn't matter if the fish is a bit worn out, it's going to be dispatched 👍

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back