• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

N. Ireland Black, blow or "yellowtail"

Des.c

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Alright all. New to forum.

I'm from Belfast and have been pumping lugworm. Now I've 2 questions, first is, is there such a thing as yellowtails. There's mixed views when I look on the net. Second question is, any recommendations where I can pump for blacks over here?.
Where I'm going they are decent size (whatever they are) but are few and far between.
I've just been salting them as I don't know if they can be frozen.

Here's a pic of one. Could someone identify what type it is.

Thanks in advance,
Des
20240504_144459.jpg

They are a real good size I'd say black lug although they look like huge blows . @concrete might know more accurately he does a lot of digging .

Big black dobber. Perfect for blanching and freezing. Scientists say there's 2 only species some anglers/diggers say there's 3.

Your observation skills are 2nd to none🙄👍
Since scientists didn’t know there were two separate species until 30 years ago using dna sequencing, a picture will only give a hint.
You’d probably be better off photographing the depression, or lack of it and the cast too. The two different species have totally different types.
Cheers

They come from mostly uneven cast but no blow hole. When I read up it ones say blow don't generally grow past 20cm. The ones that I get are into the 30's. To my uneducated mind, they're a mixture of both black and blow. Black because of the size, blow because of the casts. Thanks for the replies guys. Someone told me we don't really gets blacks in N.I so this is the reason I'm asking.

Big black dobber. Perfect for blanching and freezing. Scientists say there's 2 only species some anglers/diggers say there's 3.
I can remember when the scientists said their was only one species with regional variants. They are saying the same thing now for blacks and yellow tales

Alright all. New to forum.

I'm from Belfast and have been pumping lugworm. Now I've 2 questions, first is, is there such a thing as yellowtails. There's mixed views when I look on the net. Second question is, any recommendations where I can pump for blacks over here?.
Where I'm going they are decent size (whatever they are) but are few and far between.
I've just been salting them as I don't know if they can be frozen.

Here's a pic of one. Could someone identify what type it is.

Thanks in advance,
Des
View attachment 64855
@Fedstar is the man you want. He should be able to put you on some worms. Just don't tell him where you live

1st, welcome to the forum.
Blows, cast plus blow hole. U shaped burrows
If left undisturbed can top 12" and as thick as your thumb.
Blacks / yellows. Cast only straight burrows
Dug/pumped Gutted and wrapped they are blacks
Dug/pumped ungutted they are poppers.
Dug ungutted in very shallow trays of sea water, they are yellow tails.👍

Thank you and thanks for reply👍. So even though there's no visible blow hole from these, they're still blowlug?

Bout ye Dec👍
The worm ye have there looks like a "yellow tail" easy way to tell is,,,, do they leave a yellow stain on your fingers? But the way thon worm has a black tail and brown upper, don't look like blacks te me fella.
Best way to use yellow tails is to gut them then they stiffen up quite a lot and can be frozen.
Are you pumping down the Lough? Lol North shore at Carrick, or South shore down around Hollywood.

I only know one place to gather blacks and that's in Comber but it's National Trust land.

I myself would say three types of Lug can be gathered, with yellows being in the middle between black and blow.
Scientific or not 🤪yellows seem like a completely different species to a wee dunder head like me.

If ye wanna have a slabber? Send me a PM an we can talk😎.

Mark...

They do leave a yellow stain on the fingers, but apparently so do blacks....head melt.

PM sent mate👍

Catherine wheel type cast with vertical shaft with large worm with long yellow tail section that can shift and go deep we call gulley worms with regional variations in colour and sand can grow to a fair old size and if dug can be kept weeks in trays of salt water in fridge if changed regular and gut and freeze well.
Beds of yellow tails with untidy cast and in u shape tunnel and blow hole can be trenched when at high density and also keep well in trays and stain hands like gulley worm.
Blow lug casts as yellow tails easily dug and do not keep well in trays or freeze to be kept.
Do not know the Latin names and the three names blow lug, yellow tail, and gulley worm just names I was brought up using, yellow tail and gulley having similar qualities but different hole and cast structure though blow lug having similar cast/ tunnel to yellow tails.
Suspect regional names will differ and identities blurred a tad, for me gulley worm and yellow tail good blow lug less so imo.🤷🏽‍♂️
Would not like to say what picture is of 😂 edit, gulley worm commonly called blacks and when mature can grow really big and take some digging, if pumped do not keep well in trays for some medical reason same as yellows🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back