• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Beach combed sinkers.

Casker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
A North East Cornwall friend just handed-over a "weighty" tub of washed-up leads he's collected over several years. They included a good variety of still-useable leads of various weight/types which will save me a few quid.
I thought interesting though that roughly 75% were the "grip/breakaway" type of leads (some still entirely useable). Yes, they will be the heavier leads, but it would seem they do actually break away (i.e. are lost) most frequently based on this single beach-combing "survey" despite the swivelling spikes !

Just a random observation !!

(Not to waste, I will drill (sideways) & re-wire/loop those where original connection steel loop has eroded - I can't be doing with melting/re-moulding.)

Last edited:
A North East Cornwall friend just handed-over a "weighty" tub of washed-up leads he's collected over several years. They included a good variety of still-useable leads of various weight/types which will save me a few quid.
I thought interesting though that roughly 75% were the "grip/breakaway" type of leads (some still entirely useable). Yes, they will be the heavier leads, but it would seem they do actually break away (i.e. are lost) most frequently based on this single beach-combing "survey" despite the swivelling spikes !

(Not to waste, I will drill (sideways) & re-wire/loop those where original connection steel loop has eroded - I can't be doing with melting/re-moulding.)
I think you will find breakaway type leads are used roughly 75% of the time if not more so you'd expect to find more of them.

but it would seem they do actually break away (i.e. are lost)
The "Breakaway" does not mean they are intended to be lost.What they are designed to do is the wires are meant to release from their clips where they are held in place when they become stuck,ie. they Breakaway from any snag,in theory,not always the case.If they are well and truly stuck or buried in mud or shingle the line will break but that does not make it a Breakaway.;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if your point is that grip leads are lost more than plain leads, that they still wash up so the grip wires cannot be working, or that the specific design of the brand breakaway, is more prone to snap off than other brands of grip lead?

I always use a grip lead as do most beach anglers so they will be the majority of what is lost, storms can dislodge things way heavier than a grip lead While seabed's constantly move with the tide so all sorts can wash up, the breakaway brand/design is probably the most common used, so again most likely to be the most common lost/found.
Personally I prefer Gemini's

I'm not sure if your point is that grip leads are lost more than plain leads, that they still wash up so the grip wires cannot be working, or that the specific design of the brand breakaway, is more prone to snap off than other brands of grip lead?

I always use a grip lead as do most beach anglers so they will be the majority of what is lost, storms can dislodge things way heavier than a grip lead While seabed's constantly move with the tide so all sorts can wash up, the breakaway brand/design is probably the most common used, so again most likely to be the most common lost/found.
Personally I prefer Gemini's
Yes, I was sort of indicating that grip/breakaway leads are possibly lost more than plain leads - so many variables as to why they might be lost and washed up more frequently, BUT I definitely did NOT intend any inference as regards the excellent "Breakaway" brand of tackle. ( IMHO though, "Breakaway" is an unfortunately ambiguous brand name.)

Last edited:

Option b might be to keep the ones with no wires for rough ground?

Billy Fishing on Youtube did a video showing how to drill out plain leads, and use 3mm strimmer cord for the grip bits.
As @Mr Fish said, grip wires stop the leads from falling into crevices, and with the strimmer cord, you could make them as long as you like.
Was going to try it sometime, but not done so yet.

Billy Fishing on Youtube did a video showing how to drill out plain leads, and use 3mm strimmer cord for the grip bits.
As @Mr Fish said, grip wires stop the leads from falling into crevices, and with the strimmer cord, you could make them as long as you like.
Was going to try it sometime, but not done so yet.
I went to check out, but didn't find a Billy Fishing vid abut leads @Trampster

Can't be arsed tonight on my phone, but will try to remember to find a link in the morning on the Laptop. Remind me if I forget.

Here you go. If you don't want to watch the whole video, the bit about the grip leads using 3mm strimmer cord starts at 9:37.

Prefer Gemini leads myself.. 🎣

Ian.

Here you go. If you don't want to watch the whole video, the bit about the grip leads using 3mm strimmer cord starts at 9:37.

I suppose if you fish rough ground & lose a lot of tackle it might be worth while, but buying the wire & the tools to get going will buy a lot of bit's

I suppose if you fish rough ground & lose a lot of tackle it might be worth while, but buying the wire & the tools to get going will buy a lot of bit's
It's not wire - its 3mm strimmer line which is cheap as chips, and you can make it whatever length you like, so if fishing craggy ground, you can make the "strimmer line" grips longer to stop the lead falling into crevices.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back