• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bait, do you use anything homemade?

AndyA

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I'm interested to hear if anyone makes their own fishing bait, or does it need to be the regular natural baits such as worms, squid etc?

Some people make crab cart from brown crab but have no idea how. Presumably there’s info on YouTube etc.

People make ground bait/shirvy at home from mashed up oily fish, bread crumbs etc, the intent being to create an oily slick to get mullet or bream etc feeding.

And some like to make up their cocktail baits at home and freeze them on a hook trace.
I’m sure that works and yes I guess it saves time on the beach though to my mind you’re losing a certain amount of the juices and scent then before you start.

But… if you mean somehow creating actual sea fishing baits from scratch with stuff laying around the kitchen, personally I wouldn’t even try.
Might work for various carp or coarse baits but imo for sea you want the best, freshest bait you can buy or collect, whether that’s live worm, peelers crab or well frozen mackerel, squid etc.
By well frozen I mean it’s frozen quickly not too long after capture - the same would apply if you caught and home froze your own bait.

You will see accounts of people catching a 10lb bass on bacon rind or a bit of liver and tbh some fish like bass and cod are gut buckets and will eat pretty much anything on occasion.
But for consistent catches you’re better off using fresh/decent bait as above.

Also imo, life is too short to be faffing around trying to make ‘home made’ baits which aren’t likely to work very well, will just reduce your chances of catching and also waste a lot of time you could spend actually fishing with the correct bait!

I was waiting,

(Bait, do you use anything homemade?)​

For someone to come up with and answer like curry, salad, stew, or similar!

Tescopoly make good bait, it's called a loaf for mullet :ROFLMAO:

I was waiting,

(Bait, do you use anything homemade?)​

For someone to come up with and answer like curry, salad, stew, or similar!
I read somewhere that a bit of garlic (in the bait mix) can work !!?? :) I reckon bhuna marinaded lamb (appropriately presented with or without naan) will be the next go-to bait ! Of course there is the Sunday roast blended-flavour option: what fish in UK waters will be able to resist especially on a Sunday ?

Last edited:
White or Brown

:unsure:Or would that be a racist question!
The cheapest unsliced white loaf soaked in a bucket of water for ground bait, save half to bait the hooks etc size 8 max, :ROFLMAO:

My brother in law once made some fish flavoured boilies and the whiting loved them. Mind you, they’d eat a bogey if you could get it on a hook.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back