• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

As an experiment & for a bit of a laugh I bought a cheap 3.6m Lineaeffe "Moon Walk" telescopic rod ....

Casker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
.... for just a tenner !

I was buying some stuff and happened across the Moon Walk. "What the heck for a tenner" .. I thought .. "I can afford to chance/waste a tenner". (Also, a 60-120 CW rod, might fill my CW gap.)

I can't try it out right now, but I thought I'd mention because I have a question that seasoned members may well be able to answer.

Lineaeffe describe rod as having a "multigraphite complex" and then attaches a label that says fibreglass! No big deal - f/glass normally nice and strong - but Lineaeffe not forthcoming about the actual fibre make-up of their "multigraphite complex". One Dutch retailer suggests it is a mix of graphite and fibreglass though.
Butt and section 2 have an ultra-smooth and plastic-glossy finish; section 3 is ultra-smooth and glossy up to last few inches when a bit of a weave texture can be felt/seen; section 4 has an undeniably textured/woven finish with glossy coating.

So my QUESTION: any thoughts on what this rod might actually be made up of given the different finishes across the rod sections??! (Of course it doesn't really matter @ £10 price, but, never the less, any thoughts ?)

[ Out-of-the-box assess': it was cheap and it feels cheap - no tactile butt finishes what-so-ever - just a bare blank ! There is a screw-on butt-stop though (=tick). I have no reason to doubt screw reel-seat integrity, but it does not feel particularly smooth. Rod is rather 'floppy' (unloaded) & my initial (front-room) rough-assess' falls right in the middle - medium power and moderate speed.
A "don't worry if it gets trashed" longish pier rod perhaps !? ]

:):)

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste my time using it, don't trust telescopic rods.
And there are, indeed, many reports of, in particular, tele' rods breaking. My impression, from various tele' reviews from trusted sources, is that they are generally better made than they once were though: some reviews have actually been quite glowing for some moderate priced rods upwards.
But this is really more of an experiment to see, for myself, what a cheapie can do. If it breaks, it breaks, but lower casting weights and smaller baits probably advisable on this one:. As it does appear to be quite moderate all round, I'm guessing it will load up fairly well at lower CWs. All to play for and not much to lose and common sense suggests to pair-up with a known reliable rod for a session.

Last edited:
Would not even be bothered about asking the question on a £10 telescopic rod.

I fish a river with grandson with a £3.50 kids telescopic set and can catch small trout and eels.
Who cares what it is made of and operation!
I know and I don't mind if the blank is all fibreglass (a tried and tested strong, resilient construction material at many price levels), but my curiosity was peaked by the advertised "multigraphite complex" (also stencilled onto the blank) and then the label that says fibreglass. If, say, "multigraphite complex" means the blank is f/glass and only the reel seat is graphite then I might actually protest to Lineaeffe (which I believe is a reasonably respected Italian firm) about potentially misleading nomenclature when they don't offer an explanation of what it means !

[Edit: On closer examination, I now realise its reel clamps are coated metal - fingers crossed they are of one of the more corrosion-resistant aluminium alloys - otherwise the rod will end up in the bin in a very short time indeed !
And also to mention: freshwater fishing Bro-in-law used to take one of my nieces fishing when she was very young. I was chatting with her about this recently (during a walk on Par Beach, Cornwall as it happens) and she reports that she caught loads of "smaller" freshwater fish with Mike on some sort of tele' rod - and that was a couple of decades ago ! ]

Last edited:
My impression, from various tele' reviews from trusted sources, is that they are generally better made than they once were though:
Yes but only if you are prepared to pay a better price for a better quality product .... cheap crap is still cheap crap ... that never changes.
If, say, "multigraphite complex" means the blank is f/glass and only the reel seat is graphite then I might actually protest to Lineaeffe (which I believe is a reasonably respected Italian firm)
I suspect "multigraphite complex" is the same as "carbon composite" ... a mixture that involves some carbon or can even just mean that a section is carbon or they chucked a wrap of carbon fibre in the mix somewhere (to make it sound better than it is).

I'm not sure who told you that Lineaeffe is a reasonably respected brand .... its a brand known for lower price point (the polite version) tackle. I can only give hands on comments on their reels ... which are junk with no spares backup. Somebody out there will bleat that they have a reel that they've used for donkeys years etc but the ones that have come my way look like they are built for the skip. The name gives a clue doesn't it ... Lineaeffe, pronounced LINE NAFF ... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes but only if you are prepared to pay a better price for a better quality product .... cheap crap is still cheap crap ... that never changes.

I suspect "multigraphite complex" is the same as "carbon composite" ... a mixture that involves some carbon or can even just mean that a section is carbon or they chucked a wrap of carbon fibre in the mix somewhere (to make it sound better than it is).

I'm not sure who told you that Lineaeffe is a reasonably respected brand .... its a brand known for lower price point (the polite version) tackle. I can only give hands on comments on their reels ... which are junk with no spares backup. Somebody out there will bleat that they have a reel that they've used for donkeys years etc but the ones that have come my way look like they are built for the skip. The name gives a clue doesn't it ... Lineaeffe, pronounced LINE NAFF ... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I fully agree that they are cheap.
I own a couple of there reels, and to be honest if you are the kind of guy that picks your rods and reels up from shed, off into car and off on beach, do the job and put back.
Rater than pay £100's for reels and rods they are far better value.
For example for around the last 5 years i have used one i bought one loaded with braid for around £25 - £30, still going strong, its the one i use every time i lure fishing.

Thanks for comment re "multigraphite complex" @blakdog is back.
As to Lineaeffe reels; they are not on my radar and your comment has cemented that (despite Dutchman's post above re his good experience).
I have tackle widely recognised as being "good stuff" (or even "really good stuff") and then some tackle that I acknowledge is naff cheap stuff, but there's no harm in experimenting I reckon (as long as it doesn't cost me much) & you never know ... !!
I expect there are many costlier rods out there that are well over-priced, but a rod costing a tenner can hardly be over-priced - LOL !
As I said originally, I'm not really expecting it to offer much more capability than as a longish-rod for pier fishing: one I can use and abuse from a hard place - e.g. a granite pier - without undue concern about careful rod management !

Last edited:
Vigor (I think) is a Lineaffe brand. I somehow acquired a new 70 series reel. Used it once and it went back in it's box never to see daylight again.
We've got a guy near home that sells a lot of rods & reels on Gumtree. "Top qualty, £25 per reel and £25 per rod, or £40 per combo" Most of it is Lineaffe or Fladen. 🙄🙄

Vigor (I think) is a Lineaffe brand. I somehow acquired a new 70 series reel. Used it once and it went back in it's box never to see daylight again.
We've got a guy near home that sells a lot of rods & reels on Gumtree. "Top qualty, £25 per reel and £25 per rod, or £40 per combo" Most of it is Lineaffe or Fladen. 🙄🙄
Bought a Vigor one years ago, all my sea tackle had gone and i wanted to get a set to try with kids and it was the only sea reel he was doing in shop at home 99% course and trout shop.
It lasted 3 casts and the bail arm departed from it.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back