• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Another week and yet more unpredictable Welsh weather!

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Tuesday night was almost a re-run of the previous week, with warm sunshine and light winds, but for the umpteenth time this year things were very quiet in daylight. With sunset getting much later now, I had a long wait until the light began to fade but once it did, the fish began to stir.

After hearing a couple of sploshes, my lure was finally hit and the first bass of the session was duly landed, a fish of 47cm (y).
Bass 57 2024.jpg

After a quick picture the bass was released to re-join his mates and on the very next cast my lure was attacked again! 😮 Sadly, this time the assailant missed the trebles completely, but I was still encouraged to know the bass were on the feed.

I hoped this would be just the start of a bumper session, but frustratingly it wasn’t to be. Despite the tide not being particularly big, it carried a surprising amount of loose weed with it and this tangled with the trebles on my lures within seconds of the lure hitting the water.

The bass were still there, and for the next hour I could hear a constant stream of slurps and sploshes, but when they hit my lures, they failed to hook-up 😥. I persevered though and finally I managed to hook another one. After an enjoyable scrap in the flow, my second fish of the night was landed, a better fish of 54cm 🤩.
Bass 58 2024.jpg

Another hour, and several more hits later, I connected with bass number 3 of the evening, the smallest fish yet at 38cm
Bass 59 2024.jpg

But this was to be the last action of the night.

Soon after this, the weed belatedly began to clear, but with it went the bass and the sounds of feeding fish gradually stopped. I gave it another hour or so but ultimately I had to settle with just the 3 fish.

Wednesday was a day of torrential rain, which carried on for much of Thursday too, but thankfully it stopped by the time I arrived at the mark for the evening session. With a larger tide and high water 2 hours after sunset, coupled with overcast skies and a slight hint of mist, I was feeling very confident of a more productive session. Despite my hopes, the bass had other ideas and once more they ignored everything I threw at them until just after the sun had set.

Though the first hit of the session was a proper smash, which pulled the rod tip hard over, it somehow failed to connect 😲 but it was still good to know I was fishing the right lure. This was confirmed 10 minutes later when the Ruf Manic was hit again, and this time the hooks found a hold. After a decent scrap I was up and running with a fish of 48cm, not a bad one to start the evening 😊.
Bass 60 2024.jpg

With the bass having come on the feed at dusk, a full 90 minutes before high water, and there being a lot less weed than there had been on Tuesday, I was hoping for a long productive spell, but for some unknown reason the much anticipated feeding frenzy just didn’t get going 🤷‍♂️.

I did hear the occasional slurp or splosh, but in nowhere near the numbers of Tuesday night, and the bass that were around didn’t seem to be interested in my lures, meaning I didn’t get anywhere near the number of hits I had on Tuesday. I did eventually manage to tempt one more little un, of 39cm,
Bass 61 2024.jpg

but soon after that, just as the drizzle began to fall the bass went off the feed completely.

Zipping up my wading jacket, I fished on for another couple of hours but I didn’t see or hear any more signs of fishy life, and I called it a night at 00:15 and headed for home.

So it looks like the bass might be thinning out at the early season marks, and it could be time soon for me to widen my search area in my hunt for the big girl 🤔.

Well done Andy great fishing, i got absolutely soaked fishing a couple of hours either side of low during the day on Thursday, i did see a couple of fish but didnt get a touch. It was very wet and windy, not the easiest of weathers for fishing lures, i enjoyed it though (y)

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back