• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Another milestone reached.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
With the fishing being on the patchy side lately, I’ve been more than happy just to keep catching, and this week I just hoped for more of the same 🤞. Low water on Tuesday was a little earlier than I would have liked, but I was still confident that my chosen mark would come up with the goods.

The evening started off quietly and despite me seeing quite a few leaping sea trout, and some decent sized fish creating giveaway wakes on the surface, mullet I think, I didn’t get any interest in my lures. When I did eventually get a take, it failed to connect with the hooks ☹️. At least I knew there were hungry fish in the vicinity, so I fished on in the hope that things would start to pick up now.

Unfortunately that didn’t look like happening, and the next couple of hours passed completely without incident. I was just beginning to think that my latest catching streak was about to come to an end, when completely out of the blue my Mishna was hit for only the second time of the session, and this time it resulted in a positive hook-up (y).

I knew straight away that it was a small fish and sure enough, I soon landed a tiddler of 28cm, they all count though and the blank was beaten 😊.
Bass 86 2024.jpg

Incredibly, after 3 hours without a fish, my lure was hit again on the very next cast 😮, this time by a better fish of 37cm.
Bass 87 2024.jpg

3 bass in 3 casts was too much to ask 😄 but 10 minutes later I landed bass number 3, the best of the evening at 50cm,
Bass 88 2024.jpg

before things went quiet again.

I gave it another 45 minutes, but the bass had vanished as quickly as they had arrived 🤷‍♂️, so I decided to have an early night and called it quits at 23:30.

Whereas Tuesday had been a sunny and calm evening, with only the lightest of breezes, Thursday was completely different and rather than being summerlike, the weather definitely had an autumnal feel about it. The blue skies were replaced by thick grey clouds and the cool offshore breeze gusted to 35mph. On the plus side though, being offshore, the wind enabled me to cover a hell of a lot of water 😅.

With low water being around 22:15 this time, just as it would be getting properly dark, I was feeling really confident for later but I wasn’t expecting much until then. This meant I was very pleasantly surprised when I had a take after only 30 minutes. Just as on Tuesday, the first fish of the night was a tiddler, 27cm this time, but once again I was just glad to catch 😉.
Bass 89 2024.jpg

After a quick start for a change, I was feeling really confident now of a good session but lure fishing is never that straightforward and it looked like I had caught the only solitary schoolie in North Wales 🤦‍♂️. I fished on for another 90 minutes but after seeing no more signs of life I decided to move along the shore in an attempt to find out where the bass were hiding.

After walking for all of 2 minutes, I decided on a spot around 100 meters from my original location :ROFLMAO: and after the minimum of time out of the water, I was ready to resume my hunt.

I flicked my Mishna out into the calm, clear water and began the retrieve immediately, but amazingly, I had only turned the reel handle a couple of times when the lure was chomped! 😲 Once again I could tell that it was a schoolie but at 28cm, at least it was bigger than my first one, only just though.
Bass 90 2024.jpg

After this brilliant start I hoped to get a few more fish now but the next 40 minutes were quiet again. The bass were still around however, and after missing the next hit I made amends on the very next cast with a better bass of 47cm 👌.
Bass 91 2024.jpg

This fish signalled the start of a feeding frenzy and over the next hour, as the light faded I landed another 6 bass, ranging from 38cm to 48cm 🤩.
Bass 92 2024.jpg

Bass 98 2024.jpg

Now up to this point it hadn’t really entered my head, but after such a busy spell, reaching the ton of bass for the year was now a distinct possibility. This meant the pressure was starting to build, but typically, the bass now went off the feed again! 😢

My original plan when I moved had been to return to the first spot for the start of the flood, but this had been delayed due to me finding the bass in a feeding mood somewhere else, and now I really wasn’t sure what to do :unsure:. After giving it some thought though, and with the bass having gone off the feed, it seemed like the best thing to do. A short walk later and I was back where I started, but I still wasn’t convinced that I was doing the right thing.

I started to fish again, but I just couldn’t shake the feeling that I was making a mistake and so just 10 minutes after moving, I decided to return to where I had caught the majority of my fish.

Things were still quiet when I first arrived back, but when I missed a take 5 minutes later, I felt a lot better about being back. Sure enough, a couple of minutes later I was in again with another little un and convinced that I had made the correct decision 😁.

The bass were back on the feed now and in the next 5 minutes I landed 2 more, to bring up the ton 2 weeks sooner than in 2023 🥳.
Bass 99 2024.jpg

Bass 100 2024.jpg

Once again, sport suddenly went quiet after this but I fished on in the hope that things would change again, and sure enough, 15 minutes after they had stopped feeding, the bass were back once more. A quick-fire double put me on 14 bass for the session, just 1 short of my best ever bag, so now I had a dilemma. Though it was past midnight, I just couldn’t bring myself to leave without at least trying for a couple more 😂.

I gave it another 20 minutes, but catching another 2 fish so late in the night was a step too far and I eventually called it a night at 00:30, more than happy with my 14 bass and chuffed to reach the ton earlier in the year for the 3rd year in a row, and a whole 10 weeks sooner than when I first did it in 2021 (y).

It's definitely encouraging to see so many smaller fish coming through in uour area. Its not the same everywhere 😕

Thanks for the replies gents (y) .

It's definitely encouraging to see so many smaller fish coming through in uour area. Its not the same everywhere 😕
I have been catching lots of smaller bass lately, but I've also caught more 50+cm fish this year than I have for a few years now.

We had a fantastic breeding year a while back now, and in around 2019 we had an explosion in numbers of small fish of around the 1lb mark. Since then, the fish have ben gradually getting bigger every year and in the first couple of months of this year I was catching decent numbers of fish between 3.5 and 4.5lb.

If things carry on like this, and the bass manage to avoid the netters 🤞, then the future is looking good for us in North Wales.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back