• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice please of what rod and reel

Jackie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hi all, my partner is into sea fishing and goes on regular charter trips doing wreck fishing for congar etc. I want to surprise him with a new rod and reel for Xmas. I've heard him mention about big fish fighting so need a rod suitable for this. For the reel he currently uses a abo. I've heard the world multiplier and I know it must be a smooth clutch. I don't know what the latest new stuff out is. I'm looking at a budget at most £250.

Welcome to the Madhouse Jackie! 👍👍

Not much of a boat fishing person these days, but someone like @stan m would be a good one to ask about rods.

Hi all, my partner is into sea fishing and goes on regular charter trips doing wreck fishing for congar etc. I want to surprise him with a new rod and reel for Xmas. I've heard him mention about big fish fighting so need a rod suitable for this. For the reel he currently uses a abo. I've heard the world multiplier and I know it must be a smooth clutch. I don't know what the latest new stuff out is. I'm looking at a budget at most £250.

Have a look in the for sales section on here, 20lb IGFA rod and Everol reel for sale within budget. Will last for years and handle big fish. The reel will last a lifetime.

www.talkseafishing.co.uk/threads/everol-4-0-special-reel.7994/#post-371747

www.talkseafishing.co.uk/threads/conoflex-igfa-20lb-one-piece-boat-rod-by-alba-rods.7995/

It's a welcome from me as well Jackie

Welcome indeed, without knowing what ABU reel he currently uses it's not easy to guess as reels come in many different sizes,
But I would happily recommend either a Shimano Charter special 200, or the slightly larger Shimano TLD20 both are around £150 on line, & are tried & trusted models, sorry I'm not up to date on the rod market.

Thank you so much for your welcomes and advice. Have tried looking into what rods and reels and omg it's mind boggling. His group he goes out with get so excited when they buy a new reel or rod that is better than ever had before but can't ask them what is it as would ruin the surprise. Would love to get him an upgrade and get it right.

Thank you so much for your welcomes and advice. Have tried looking into what rods and reels and omg it's mind boggling. His group he goes out with get so excited when they buy a new reel or rod that is better than ever had before but can't ask them what is it as would ruin the surprise. Would love to get him an upgrade and get it right.
Sadly we are as blind as you, without knowing what he currently uses.

Forgot to say have you thought about asking the charter boat skippers,that your partner goes with, for their advice, ?
Agreed, it’s hard to know what to suggest without knowing what he fishes for and how.
Or perhaps one of the friends he goes with?

@Jackie if you know the boat he goes out on, or can find out, a call to the skipper is a good shout.

You could always post their suggestions back on here for more opinions.

As you correctly say, there’s so much choice now and without knowing your OH’s preferences and how/what he fishes for, it’s hard to give a good recommendation.
Also within the many different options people will have personal choices on the kinds of reels they prefer, whether they like to fish lighter or heavier etc etc.

You should though be able to get something reasonable within that budget though.

Please do pop back on with the info though, as there’s lots of experience on here and we can certainly offer some options if we have a little more to go on.

Lovely idea but the odds against buying him exactly what he wants/ needs are very high. I know it's not the same , but if I were in his shoes I would much prefer my Mrs to give me £250 to choose my own gear. Ask 10 anglers their opinion and you will get 10 different answers. Good luck.

Lovely idea but the odds against buying him exactly what he wants/ needs are very high. I know it's not the same , but if I were in his shoes I would much prefer my Mrs to give me £250 to choose my own gear. Ask 10 anglers their opinion and you will get 10 different answers. Good luck.
Probably why I’d try and find out from fishing folks ‘close’ to him, either the skipper or his boat buddies.

Mind you, some skippers can be very set in their ways with old fashioned ideas!

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back