• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Abu chrome rocket CT.

goose

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have one of the above which I think I bought in the nineties but I've seen a new one in a shop which looks the same apart from the handle grip . Have read many stories about them not being the same anymore and that they were made in china for a while with lower grade materials. Anyone have any idea how old this one in the shop would be as Google only shows the new rockets with level wind not the CT. Also the shop owner says they have only sold a few to regulars who are very happy with them but are they as good as originals ?

The original Chrome Rockets haven't been manufactured for years, so I would be dubious as to their origin mate. Could be wrong though. But since Abu transferred manufacture to Asia the quality is questionable to say the least.

Ian.

Yeah I've heard some conflicting information,been told the 6500 were being made in Sweden again but them someone else said assembled in Sweden from inferior parts made over seas.

I have one of the above which I think I bought in the nineties but I've seen a new one in a shop which looks the same apart from the handle grip . Have read many stories about them not being the same anymore and that they were made in china for a while with lower grade materials. Anyone have any idea how old this one in the shop would be as Google only shows the new rockets with level wind not the CT. Also the shop owner says they have only sold a few to regulars who are very happy with them but are they as good as originals ?
So far as I am aware the Chrome Rockets have ALWAYS been made of component parts made in China. They carried the "Made in Sweden" claim because they were assembled in Sweden. I don't think there has actually been a break in production of them (I think they have been a standard inclusion in the ABU catalogue since they were introduced?) and the major change has been the recent discontinuation of the CT version.

It's one of the few Chinese made models that is worth having to be honest.

The first schematic version of the CT Rocket chrome is numbered 15 00 which would make the year of design 2005 (i think the CS version came out in 96 or 97 and the CT version 2005/2006?).

You would need the cage number to work out what year the reel in question was manufactured and there are still a good few CT versions on stock shelves I would think.

Attachments

• abuserial.jpg
    abuserial.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 11
The first schematic version of the CT Rocket chrome is numbered 15 00 which would make the year of design 2005 (i think the CS version came out in 96 or 97 and the CT version 2005/2006?).

You would need the cage number to work out what year the reel in question was manufactured and there are still a good few CT versions on stock shelves I would think.
Have read the as that mine must be the C's with a CT cage fitted and I do vaguely remember it now as I think at the time there was a CT conversion kit but I didn't want that as I think from memory iyou had to cut the upper crossbar out of the level wind cage.

View attachment 64929
View attachment 64931

Some of you may recognise some of the components on this reel. A nice fishing reel with plenty of control available if the weather/ wind changes on you
A great conversion.
Nice but looks like the mono mag would get in the way as I fish low reel and would like to retain the ratchet. Tempted to buy a couple of C's versions and get rocket reel company CT cages but it looks like these require removal of the ratchet as well.

Nice but looks like the mono mag would get in the way as I fish low reel and would like to retain the ratchet. Tempted to buy a couple of C's versions and get rocket reel company CT cages but it looks like these require removal of the ratchet as well.
20240714_153115.jpg

Probably OT but here ya go; a couple of akios caged ABUs. Nothing else done apart from usual fettling bearings/oils. 5500 mag and my original 6500 that I learned/struggled/self taught eventually pendied on my zf250 20 30 plus years ago.
I always found the zf hard to groundcast [because I wasn't that great] but the casting foundations were laid with my OTG struggles.
Near enough emptied that bugger when I put caution to the wind and went for it first time; my late father, who was also thrashing the loch for makkies, thought the reel had exploded due to the explosion of salt water spray as it "spun up" lolol.
Catch mackerel?? bollox to that, I've just started pendulum casting and the horizon [ok other side of the loch] was the target from then on.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back