• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

A Penn 525mag problem

DEEP SEA JOHN

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I use penn 525 MK2mags and during the summer i drop my line diameter to 0.38mm and lower. no problem casting but the slightest loop or over run the line gets behind the spools. i have tried putting less line on the spools but the only way to stop it is to up the diameter
i know this is a common fault with these reels has anybody thought of a cure.
one guy suggested a thin film of super glue round the frame but i dont fancy that
cheers
D.S.J.🦀

Last edited:
A bin is the easiest option and inevitably its ultimate destination - it was heading that way before it even left the factory mate. Sorry DSJ but I do wonder just how many times does the world needs to be told about these utterly shite reels???

I've got the originals & having had a close look, there is just no gap for line to get through,
I've heard that the quality dropped right off on the mk2/3/4 but if the spool fit is so poor that line can get past, there's not much you can do.
I guess the idea of the glue is to build up the sideplates until there is no gap that line can get through,
maybe a wrap of insulation tape around the spool rims would do the same job, or several coats of paint/nail varnish, by the sound of it they can't make matters any worse :unsure:

A bin is the easiest option and inevitably its ultimate destination - it was heading that way before it even left the factory mate. Sorry DSJ but I do wonder just how many times does the world needs to be told about these utterly shite reels???
i agree very poor engineering

I use Asso ultra cast 14lb .30 on my 515 mag 4’s and never had any issues with line behind the spool.

well i am going over to diawa 7ht mag bit expensive but superior quality
D.S.J. 🦀
Go buy a fathom or a saltist 20 and get it maged by blakdog (russ) 7ht mags very hard to buy new now as they stopped making them , 7ht mags ok for smooth ground but no good for the rough stuff

I Have a fathom and a saltist pluss two penn 525s for the realy heavy ground up here in the north east ( tackle graveyard ) my diawa 7Ht will be great for down south and welsh beaches
by the way the coating of varnish works but takes some time building up a couple of coats
cheers
D.S.J. 🦀

For years I was happy with my rocket it's and original 7ht's but both getting old I have tried lots of the newer reels that bloggers have recommended.
Phathom 2 casting specials, poor build quality built to poor tolerances I'm sold on sticking with macey magged saltists.
7HT mags as others have said clean ground reels but I didn't rate them as my sandy beaches are offensive very weedy and they lack the guts hauling in weed so sld them and use Penn fathom 12 SD mags, not as smooth as the HT's and don't cast as far but not that far behind and far more cranking power.
Recently bought a pair of fixed spool akios airloop R10's, used once and just not for me ,been using multipliers in low reel position for too long.
Although many don't like them I'm becoming a bit of a akios reel fan boy.
Have the shuttle 555 str's on my lite bass rods and love them.
Have the nitron f15's which are the later blue ones on my general all round rods , they are great casting, super smooth retrieve and have plenty of cranking power , feel robust but time will tell but so far they are in a different league to the 7ht mags and casting specials. I'm also starting to hear of issues with the casting specials becoming loose and sloppy with use causing loss of control when casting.

Should also have said since I started beach fishing over fifty years ago it has changed dramatically . Rays are far more common from our beaches as well as conger eels and smooth hounds, also tope are targeted a lot more. Lure fishing for bass is now massively popular. Winter is whiting and dogs.

Should also have said since I started beach fishing over fifty years ago it has changed dramatically . Rays are far more common from our beaches as well as conger eels and smooth hounds, also tope are targeted a lot more. Lure fishing for bass is now massively popular. Winter is whiting and dogs.
It's odd hearing how areas around the country have changed 45 years ago, my area was plagued with coalfish would you believe we used to move venues to avoid them when after cod. Haddock .whiting and plaice. We have never had shark species such as rays smooth hound etc
we have to travel to the west coast or much further south, I love Abu reels great engineering but alas our coast requires more rugged and heavier gear. Now all species are like unicorns now. I wish the coalies would come back, you don't know what you have till its gone
D.S.J.🦀

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back