• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast 17.6.24 hurst

geejayy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
17.6.24 trip 4, hurst shingle. approx 4pm-midnight.

first job was a visit to salisbury hospital for bloods, i'd packed some gear so went on to milford & had wandered up to my spot by about 4pm i'd guess.
the weather was warm, overcast and dry. wind was quite strong &n felt westerly though it dropped and went more south as the evening progressed.

20240617_165142[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

high tide i think was for 8pm, and seemed small, moon was a bit more than half & waxing.

bait was mackerel & squid, both frozen i did flick a dexter about looking for a fresh one from time to time but the water was rather coloured.
rigs:- pulley, dropdown scratchy rig , flappy scratchy rig , and a short upnover.

tide was running hard at the start but was just about manageable if you didnt cast too far, there was a lack of weed all session was a pleasant surprise , just a little washing on the line to jam a tip ring.

i pitched the bivvy faceing the island so didnt see much of what was happening back towards the groyne where a few were already set up..

20240617_160643[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

it started quietly , i had missed a few breamy knocks , i can't really get on with little dinky size 4 hooks . when i hit a better bite nice and early, after a brief up n down tussle beached the first smut of the year, just a small one , maybe 4lb, didnt fart about weighing her , just a quick click & swim away.
20240617_180347[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr.

it went quiet after that & i might have caught a few zzzz's.
i noticed a few anglers walking by me and one team pitched about 70 0dd yards beyond me , unpacking a heap of rods bait stands & kit , looked like match anglers, all the gear , i thought to myself but they wiped my eye for the rest of the evening with a faiirly steady stream of what looked like small smuts and bream, looking back behind me there were a heap of anglers that had turned up. me & my old school kit waited in vein for something bigger that never showed in the end. just a bootlace conger to mangle my rig after dark.

20240617_230615[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr
perhaps i should have waited another hour for the turn of the tide which often brings a good fish but i had had enough. pleasent day,
20240617_174927[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr
20240617_155419[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr
20240617_160506[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

Great report and photos 👍

Fabulous report and great photos Gordon - enjoyed reading that! 🎣🎣👍👍

yes the tide does rip through at times there & i like to leave a bit of a curve on the rods as then slackliners are instantly noticeable

Great report Mate, lovely pictures as well.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back